Summary of Regulations (Full Details)
- A rental property shall only be leased, occupied or used by a family.
- No rental property shall be occupied by more than the number of persons permitted to occupy the dwelling unit under Section 404 of the Property Maintenance Code of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code.
- A transient rental is prohibited (Less than 14 days) except when, after a determination has been made by the Town Board that local transient housing capacity is likely to be inadequate during a regionally significant event, the Town Board may, by resolution, temporarily suspend the transient rental prohibition for specific dates.
- No more than two bedrooms shall be permitted in the basement of a rental property.
- The selling of shares to tenants where they obtain rights for use and/or occupancy in a dwelling for less than a month shall be prohibited.
- The leasing, occupancy or use by a tenant of less than the entire rental property is prohibited.
- The owner(s) and tenant(s) shall ensure that all applicable parking regulations provided for in the Code of the Town of Southampton are satisfied. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, no more than four cars shall be parked at any rental property between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. during the term of a rental period.
- A rental property shall only be occupied or otherwise utilized in accordance with the certificate of occupancy issued for the dwelling unit.
- The owner(s) and tenant(s) shall ensure that all property maintenance regulations provided for in Chapter 261 of the Code of the Town of Southampton are satisfied.
- Dumpsters shall be prohibited in the required front yard and right-of-way. The enforcement authority is authorized to promulgate additional site-specific conditions associated with dumpsters, screening facilities, and off-street parking requirements for rental properties regulated under this chapter. Any such conditions shall be in writing and attached to the rental permit.
Southampton Town Application